Monday, January 19, 2015

this is a bridge covered with many thousands of locks next to Notre Dame, the locks are put there by newly married couples as a symbol of their bond to each other lasting long.
I heard a rumor recently that this bridge has collapsed under the weight of the locks.

this is a view of Notre Dame 
not as artful as our French photographer I'm afraid

My wife and I behind Notre Dame

a view of the Seine 
Inside Notre Dame
I loved both photographer's work but had a hard time picking samples from all I looked at.  I think some of the interest I experienced was due to their being from another era but their vision transcended this interest.  My own view of Paris was more the mundane tourist point of view in my first trip there last year.  I hope to look a little deeper if I ever get back.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for including the locks - I had heard of them and their collapsing weight without having seen them personally or pictorially. The long diagonal leading line and strong near/far perspective reinforce what the picture is about - the staggering number of individually attached locks that eventually became world famous. Now about the symbolism of collapsing under their own weight...oh never mind.

    Good question to always ask - "what is the picture about?" And a follow on is, "how can I make it more about what it's about?" Does that make sense? Obviously, this dialogue is about making rather than taking images

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will, sorry we didn't get a chance to talk to each other affect eh last class. Maybe we could go out for drink or coffee after class. I'd be happy total about teaching with you but I would also like to talk more about Japan and South Africa. I like you picture of the birds you took in Kyoto. Sorry, I'm bad at learning bird names. Anyway, lets talk during the next class.

    ReplyDelete