Friday, January 16, 2015

Intro + 4 photos (Rosalinda)

Hello Everyone! Tonight's class was great! Enjoyed meeting everyone and the photos were amazing. I find the Blog's photos, comments, ideas, and resources very useful: thank you for taking the time to post your work and share info. 

I am new to digital photography -- effectively 7 months of some classes, some practice, reading, and visiting photo exhibits whenever I get a chance. I shoot with Canon 6D and 24-105mm L IS USM lens. I like to do few shoots and do very light processing.

Look forward to seeing more of your work, class discussions, field trips and blog's info.

 

Reflections 1

Rodin's Garden
 
Old Town Alexandria 1
 
Playing Together 1

4 comments:

  1. Rosalinda - I can only second your statement as I also much enjoyed the class last night. Ms Southworth’s stunning images and exquisite prints – the works of art really - were the highlight of the night. I also much enjoyed Will’s prints and could not help but think after the class that the artistic process of creating, specifically in photography, takes on a different dimension when viewed as the print and cannot be fully appreciated otherwise… The visual representation of the three dimensional space, in a two dimensional frame, takes on a different quality/dimension when we consider the physical aspects of the photographic paper too. I’m curious to find out what others’ impressions were? I also enjoyed the techie discussion on sharpness and image quality. It was very useful.

    But circling back to your post Rosalinda, these are some really nice images. I was particularly drawn visually to “Rodin’s Garden” image and its inviting quality to a peaceful and calm setting. Made me want to step right into it and take a seat on that bench and look a the statue surrounded by all the greenery... Maybe because it’s been a really busy week for me, but I found it calming and inviting and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Anna's thoughts about Rodin's Garden. Is it the viewer's experience of the disquieting pace of relentlessly pushed material culture in urban life that gives this artful, green corner it's special appeal, it's invitation to respite?

    Do missing slats on the bench raise a low level undercurrent of question about who maintains, protects, respects this little piece of paradise?

    I'm glad to hear that including basics is helpful and that we can work on multiple levels simultaneously, from craft to vision and beyond - heart, mind, personality and all we bring and may transmit.

    Ah, the print. Sometimes it seems endangered, unnecessary, too precious, outdated, but still sometimes very satisfying.

    Rosalinda, this sample shows me abstraction, sense of place, sensitivity to lighting, capturing people in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess that I had begun to think that printing was superfluous these days, but after viewing Barbara's prints, I can see how completely wrong that is. Barbara, I was blown away. I could not stop thinking about those pictures. Seriously. Very inspirational.

      Rosalinda, I like the composition in the first photo and the focus on the young onlooker in the last photo.

      Delete
  3. Thank you all!

    Think Barbara's photos and prints were a game changer for each of us. That is what art does: it draws us in and moves us. I hope we have the chance to hear about how does she do these photos and prints?

    Going over technical aspects in detail and clarity as last class was precious to me. The questions, discussions, and explanations were very useful to me because it gives me a solid point from where to study the topic further. I am studying sharpness under a very different perspective of what I have done before.

    PS: First photo was my first homework on still life and after several failed attempts at a base with flowers, I took the glasses out and put them on the kitchen counter against the afternoon light. I couldn't get myself out of the photo though (I am the orange ring in the glass at the center). Second photo is actually a small corner in the huge garden of Rodin's Museum which is very well endowed museum. Most visitors stay at the part of the garden where Rodin's Thinker is and few even notice this charming small corner. But a camera helps me to see and appreciate what I see. Third photo was my first field trip of night photography: what a revelation it was for me to see long exposure at work. The last photo was my first homework of shooting the Farmer's Market at Old Town Alexandria (homework was to shoot on manual to capture a moment, I thought who, me? the exercise took me well outside and beyond my comfort zone)

    ReplyDelete