Monday, January 19, 2015

Late Introduction

Sorry about the late entry.   Everyone else introduced themselves in the blog last week.  Anyway, my name is Jim.  I teach biology and marine science at School Without Walls, a public high school in DC. 
My current interested is in taking Ansel Adams type black and white landscape pictures.  I am very interested in leaning how to get pictures very sharp.  At least that is what I am most interested in now.  I am open to new ideas.  I also scuba dive and I am interested in underwater photography.
Like JP I use a Nikon D7000 and for lenses I use a 18- 55 kit lens, a 40 mm macro and I just got an 85mm 1.8 lens.
I recently attended a workshop in macrophotography and these are a few of my first attempts taken at the National Botanical Gardens .   I used focus stacking in Photoshop on the Anthurium pictures.  The pitcher plants were hand held. 






1 comment:

  1. I especially like the verticals, the composition, the silvery quality stemming from b+w and the subject. I love the improbable details of this plant, the stripey edge of the vessel on the right, the twining bits on the left (those seem to have wanted more sharpness - how well I know the ease of missing what the picture is really about until it it's too late and you're far removed from the scene, surveying what you have managed to capture, knowing that you succeeded only partially.) Generally, I think people tend to forget about verticals until training themselves to remember.

    ReplyDelete