Barbara mentioned that she would prefer this shot without the building (bus shelter)and sign on the bottom left. I had already removed a yellow road sign from the bottom right, as you can see in the original shot with minimal editing below. I am sure Photoshop is a cleaner and faster tool for this kind of thing, but it is pretty amazing what you can achieve with time and effort (and practice) using Lightroom's cloning tool.
 |
| Original with minimal editing |
Version I Originally Posted
Hmmm, my wish handed me on a platter...What do you think, Pat, others? To me the image is now more about what it's about, more what it wanted to be, minus small distracting albeit small background elements that pull it back to the too real world, from something abstracted. Which is to say, more the image you saw when your impulse told you there was something here you needed. More the spangly, kinetic leaf colors and the light you saw.
ReplyDeleteTo make it a fair comparison, I've just added the version I originally posted. I'll wait to comment until others have.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I was not distracted by the background elements. I think visually, I was in the trees from the beginning but they may have distracted other viewers. If the goal is to focus on foliage, then I think the update achieves that.
ReplyDeleteWhen Barbara suggested it, I was resistant to thinking that stuff didn't belong in there. I had it in my head the colors that it brought in on the lower left was something I liked in the shot. I only did the editing because I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could do it. Surprise, I like it much better without those elements. Maybe not such surprise, because I've been observing what a sharp eye Barbara has over these last weeks.
ReplyDelete