Since I haven't been shooting, I have been looking and reexamining my images. I was thinking that what I do at Kenilworth is kind of what I do everywhere, so I thought it might be interesting to pair some other images together with the lotus leaves--hard/soft, amimate/inamimate, wet/dry and so on. Does this work in any way? Or am I just messing around?
Also downloaded LR for iPad and iPhone. Great app, but ultimately requires a CC subscription. Can we discuss the pros and cons at a subsequent get together?



.jpg)














Leslie, Truly beautiful photos -- several look like paintings. Your hard/soft, amimate/inamimate, wet/dry approach works best, I think, with the bent, dried, lotus pods and leaves. Interesting color contrast in several of the shots -- left me wondering what objects you were photographing. You've inspired me to focus in even closer. Wish I had a micro lens. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletePlay is good. I think combining work, not based on subject per se, but rather using your vision as a lens to point to an array of subjects is, more than valid, it can add variety and a kind of freedom. We have talked a bit this idea - that a photographer's work can be unified through a strong vision.
ReplyDeleteViewing older work while continuing to shoot is a powerful way to refine your technique and inner eye, I think. I recently decide to do something somewhat akin, bringing images together from what had been two separate bodies of work (One Island - On the Eastern Frontier, shot on Norton Island, off Jonesport, ME and the Upholstered Forest - inland moss and lichen cushioned forest interiors. It is different than Leslie's in that the settings themselves have similarities though I hadn't combined images from into a whole before.
So, take a look. Could earlier / later or concurrent separate work live together in harmony?
These comparisons become more than ever about form and design and less about decline, death decay. The whole is more than the sum of parts. Relationships in color, line, shape, etc. I feel this work offers space to see commonality across boundaries, aesthetically and beyond.
I love these images. Clearly you've really taken the time to take them, but sorting through and coming up with the pairings is time consuming (in a good way) and requires a lot of thought. I would be very interested to know how you and others review your work after a shoot-and perhaps eventually later as your doing here build images from a varied collection around themes and concepts. I'm still at the stage where it's quite difficult for me to sift through a collection from even one shoot then decide which ones to work on, and which ones to eliminate, or even throw out.
ReplyDelete