I am fascinated by your idea of "flatness." It needn't be the only thing/way you shoot, of course but with this antennae on the alert you will continue finding your own skew on the world in expected places. "Unexpected" is another key word for you.
Our conversation was interesting. Certain other words come to mind when I think of each of you. "Spiritual" is certainly one where I wouldn't know where to start photographically, except without putting it that way maybe it's a quality i already seek. Anyway, if that is direction you wish to consciously pursue, Dan, I will be interested to see where it leads.
"Sharp" and "well-composed" for Eva, and more control there will serve the feeling I see in your work - a sense of connection to the natural world I can relate to.
Here's something old and new from what began as another H St area foray, plus one near Union Market.
Evening shoot anyone? I'm interested in shooting in Shaw, day or night, let me know if you want to rendezvous. Let's plan an outing when next we meet and, in the mean time, feel free to suggest something sooner and throw an idea or two into the hopper.
Here's interesting NYT article about Gary Winogrand. Thoughts?
Keep Style + Momentum going...




I especially like this last picture-the reflection in the plastic barrier adds a wonderful flow and there's something about where all the lines and curves meet that is so very appealing.
ReplyDeleteRead the article on Winogrand- I do think it's that photographers have some special hangup on about the mechanized aspect of photography and the whole question of doing what is art, I think there is a sort of inferiority complex compared with other mediums. On the question of being an artist without really doing anything to put the work out in the world I'm on the side that even without the exposure outside of the personal realm there can still be a true artistic vision. Sometimes there's just not enough time or inclination to engage in the processing or "marketing" of that vision. Plus, I like the idea of images standing on their own without a lot of background or explanation of intention from the photographer/artist.