Saturday, July 12, 2014

...of interest

In Stockholm over a week ago Salgado's Genesis project is showing and I had planned to see it, but didn't get around to it.  The first picture of the seals was splashed all over the city, on the subway and bus stops. His epic photos http://lightbox.time.com/2013/03/28/in-the-beginnings-sebastiao-salgados-genesis/ would have been interesting to see live.

But perhaps I was in a more lighthearted mood. Instead I went to special exhibit on Swedish fashion in the last 20 years.  Some pieces were displayed at the entrance to "mall" with very high end shops and I was completely smitten.  I especially liked one designer that made dresses with paper.  Some pictures of Bea Szenfeld's haute paper collection are here http://www.theblogazine.com/2014/05/haute-papier-bea-szenfelds-fashionable-paper-trail/

Here's a photographer I like that I came across recently: Vee Speers http://www.veespeers.com/portfolio/ Of her collections I like "Bordello," "Bulletproof" and "The Birthday Party." The latter two are very stylized, theatrical portraits, but also spare, which appeals to me.  I think the Bordello pictures are gorgeous, I really like the hazy quality of the forms.

BTW, Speers's website is just the kind I like, sort of bare bones, like a gallery. My only criticism about this site is that it would be nice  to just click on the first picture in each collection to start play.   I've been doing some reading on websites and I think I might go with Squarespace.   Maybe it's more than I need at this point especially with the fee, but if I'm going to put time into this and continue with it, it may be worth it. It's had to make direct price comparisons because of what different builders might offer in terms of servers, storage, help and support, etc..
I tend not to dive head first into anything, but in this case it's probably better for me to just make a decision quickly and get started.

2 comments:

  1. WOW...blown away by Salgado's Genesis project! just amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of people like squarespace and ones I know of tend to have the spare look. Thanks for sharing Vee Speers. It's good to have a model. I too had a bit of trouble with flow of images in her galleries. Yeah, but lots of interesting work, nicely decadent, provocative. Not sure about hers but the place to click for next image should remain static and not jump from place to place.

    ReplyDelete