Hello fellow class members,
I'm Will Hayes and I've just started taking Barbara Southworth's Style + Momentum photography classs. I am not knowledgeable about blogging however, so I don't know how far I'll get in posting something here.
Here's my favorite website regarding nature and photography: http://www.naturescapes.net/
They have lots of articles, interviews with photographers etc, they have trips and classes and they are a source for gear and ideas. Check out E. J. Peiker's own website from here.
I have only been doing serious photography for 3 or 4 years. I am mostly a nature photographer but I'm open to all kinds of camera work. I started out with a Canon T3i and quickly realized I wanted more ways to work than it would support. Currently, I mostly use a Canon 7D mark ii, which I'm still getting up to speed on, but is way fun and useful. I am also still learning Lightroom but can do the basics and a little more. I'll try to put a few pictures in next. Wish me luck.
the first picture is of persimmons hanging over Lake Takaragaika in Kyoto last January. Persimmons are interesting in that the leaves all fall off long before the fruit fall.
this picture is of my son's boyscout troop selling christmas trees.
These next two pictures are of the All Souls Jubilee singers at All Souls church in DC
This beast is a Mandarin Duck down from Siberia in winter quarters in Japan
This is a Gray Heron also in Japan
this one's a Japanese Wagtail
Great Cormorant in Japan
This fellow was drinking beer, smoking cigarettes, and feeding black headed gulls (winter plumage no black head) on the river that runs straight through the middle of Kyoto.









Will, I especially like the Mandarin Duck!
ReplyDeleteSeems like you're taking to blogging like a duck to water, Will. The background in the Wagtail image is pretty surreal. Yes, the Mandarin Duck almost puts our Wood Duck to shame. I notice a striking similarity in the compositions of the four bird portraits.
ReplyDeleteI like point of view of the Jubilee singer - that must have been quite a performance.
Are we seeing a high ISO color shift in scouts' shot?
ISO tip, some camera's have a noise reduction built in feature that I have found useful. Also I find that softening up images in post process helps minimize the noise visibility
DeleteJust luv the background in the Japanese Wagtail shot, Will!
ReplyDeletegood resource too - massive site and interesting to see the scenics of your man EJP.
ReplyDelete