I also enjoyed found photographs by Eugene Atget. I seems he was creating photographs they way painters painted street scenes. Some of his picture reminded me of perspective drawings. I recently saw some etchings of street scenes at the Freer by James Whistler that captured the same feeling as Atget's photographs. I think trying to emulate his style would be good practice. I also like the way some of the black an white photographs were toned.
Interesting that you chose these two images with similar strong diagonal left to right perspective as your image of the locks. The photographer Ernst Haas (http://www.ernst-haas.com/) had a notion he called "compositional key" - or at least a friend of mine has told me this. Look at your images (and other photographers') for patterns in the way you compose and you may find one that you tend to return to more than any other - this would be your compositional key. Haas' reportedly was an infinity symbol, and mine a feel is a path, whether it is a linear element or a discrete points that lead the eye through the image, while my friend's key was a small figure in a large ground. Might yours be the left to right leading diagonal line?
ReplyDelete