Thursday, January 22, 2015

(from Jim)  I really liked the photographs of Vivian Male.  I guess I'm going  through a bit of black and white phase.  Her pictures seem very sharp, the risk great contrast and they are well composed and it seems she is capturing the kind of serious persona of her subjects.  She must have been pretty bold about approaching them.  During the first class we talked about approaching people to take their pictures.  I think I mentions that I feel more comfortable doing that overseas than I do here.  I'm no sure why.  I wonder if she asked her subjects to look serious when she took their pictures.  None of them were smiling.  She herself looks serious in her self portraits.
Barbara asked us during the first class if anyone was interested in photographing people.  Nobody said they were.  I I think now it may be something fun to pursue.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, good point, the seriousness...of people being looked at. This reminds me of the academic sociological term "looking relations" used by Ardis Cameron in a provocative article called "When Strangers Bring Cameras - The Poetics and Politics of Othered Places" I will email you all the pdf (it is slightly large - be on the lookout) and will be very interested to hear your reactions. This relates to the question of photographing people on the street and the kinds of interactions and exchanges, as well as underlying power relationships and assumptions, that come into play. No wonder reticence at engaging with people with our cameras.

    ReplyDelete