Tuesday, January 27, 2015



(referring to my last post with Atget photos) 
I just wrote a long response to Barabara’s comment but it disappeared when I tried to send it.  Anyway, I was looking at the photographs by Ernst Haas and I looked for the infinity symbols.  I think that they were implied in the textures of the pictures.  I’m not quite sure if I actually saw them or wanted to see them.  I really enjoy perspective drawings and I think that is why I chose those two Atget photos.  The perspective gives the pictures a lot of depth.  The one thing I like the most is in the photograph on the right, looking at the contrast in shading between the street in the foreground and the dome in the background.  The picture was probably taken on a damp morning.   Last year we went on a school trip to India and I took two photographs in Varanasi where for the first time I was able to capture that some of that same contrast.  The two pictures were taken between rainstorms.  I’ll post them with this.  Maybe you can see that I’m a fan of Sebastiao Salgado. 

1 comment:

  1. I like both of these a lot for all the crazy wealth of packed human detail, both with dramatic, diagonal sweep. You can really wander around in these images. They each fascinating arrangement and order in intensely populated arterial places.

    ReplyDelete