I'm headed to the Glenstone Museum this morning for a private tour coordinated by the "Make a Living in the Arts" Meetup Group. Reading up on the place it says it's a seamless blend of art, architecture and landscape which makes me think of Frank Lloyd Wright's design methods. Looking at the photo on the Glenstone website I believe it will be a different kind of experience though.
http://www.glenstone.org/about
http://www.meetup.com/Make-a-Living-in-the-Arts/events/206178912/
~Lisa
Interesting private art gallery - Only a pair of collaborating artist's work was shown -Peter Fischli and David Weiss. Their work was all rather whimsical and featured unfired clay, photography and recreated polyurethane studio/sculptures. The most interesting piece was the light table that stretched the length of a large room that showcased about 3,000 photos from their various travels from 1985 - 2002 (all film). Each photo was about 2 inches square against a black backdrop. The arrangement looked a little like stain glass but completely accessible to be viewed close up or from a distance. Lots of variation of color, topics, focus, and techniques in the photos.
Seamless blend of art, architecture and landscape referred to the view as you
walked around always having two of the three in view all very strikingly
categorized and manipulated. There was an ever
present host who was there to explain how to view the works and/or
ensure you were never alone in any room. Unfortunately, it was raining so the tour was inside only. Will have to come back to see the rest of the sculptures around the 200 acres!
Met a photographer, Valerie Brown, on the tour who had just published her first photography book called Capital Splendor, Gardens and Parks of Washington, DC. She shared her experience of getting the book published in which I learned how serious and dedicated she was to overcome the many hurtles. She also gave me a tip on a fun topiary garden near Baltimore (http://www.ladewgardens.com/).
What an interesting find! Glenstone was not on my radar at all - your meetup group sounds interesting. Thanks for filling us on your experience there.
ReplyDeleteInteresting that you ran into Valerie Brown, whose book I was not aware of until a student in a class I did called Farms and Gardens shared it with me and suggested I borrow it from her. As a result, through the book, I learned of Tregaron, former estate of one of National Geo founders, with 20 acre grounds now open to the public. I have since visited - it's not far from the National Cathedral, east side of Cleveland Park between Macomb Street and Klingle Road (abandoned Klingle Rd is interesting in itself), and have held a class shoot there and led a Sierra Club hike including it called Stream Valleys and Urban Conservancies.
I'm curious - do you think the work you saw - Peter Fischil and David Weiss - inspire you to learn about or see more of their collaboration, or do you think it informed your own work or perspective at all. Also, any comment about the particular meetup group experience - Make a Living in the Arts?