Eva, That gritty second photo really brings home the streets (and alleys) of Baltimore. And those train tracks reminded me of what a crazy collection of people we encountered! Far, far away from the Inner Harbor. See you Tuesday.
Eva, I especially like your first photo because of the perspective, how there are layers of squares producing a checkerboard effect from from to back. The vertical and horizontal patterns work really well to bring interest into the photo and the green, gray and blue colors are very appealing. I also like your head-on of the stone church. The dark cloud and the traffic light pole add symmetry. I feel as if these kind of photos are difficult to take because theres so much to choose from in the area and you really have to work on the question of what to put in and leave out ,and decide what is even possible within the boundaries. At first things might seem to be an unwanted distraction ,but sometimes you can work with it to your advantage as you've done.-Kate
I like the clarity and graphic of the light rail image. I'm really glad you included both of the gothic churches, so different within that realm of style, one made of more enduring material using strongly unitary color, the other so unusually green and emphatically colored, albeit crumbling.
I received an invitation from Diane Borgatti, Parish Coordinator of the Presbyterian brownstone about:
Art Under The Spire
Have you ever been moved by the sight of our church spire rising into the heavens? Perhaps you have tried to capture this Gothic-style masterpiece in film or clay or paint. If you possess art of any medium relating to the church, please consider displaying it in our juried mixed media show in Reid Chapel September 5 through October 3, 2014.
If selected, your work will be included with drawings from MICA and Baltimore School for the Arts students who came last year for drawing assignments. The Art Under the Spire committee is pleased to present this show as a collaborative effort with the community, as well. Spread the word! If there are persons in your acquaintance with art or photos pertaining to our church architecture, invite then to contact the church office by August 10, 2014 at
I was having trouble with comments, had to keep redoing, forgot to say that I marveled at the brownstone but couldn't figure out how to shoot it. Your version is in keeping with the soaring effect it has and with the theme of the show - it rises to the heavens (in church parlance there is but one heaven I think.)
I agree that the church is just about perfect--the sense of place in the city, with the traffic iights, the bike signs and yet the essence of what I might call a chapel of the old school. Very nicely done. I also like the first one--everyone got great shots of that spot and all different. I also really like the under the freeway shot. I see that or something like it from the train all the time and have always wanted to shoot there--so someone will have to tell me how to get there! I like the sense of a lost place but also enjoy the little shots of color in the background.
Baltimore is such a unique spot. Having grown up there, I do take a fair amount of it for granted. To go back as an adult is really interesting. Did you hear the Balmoran accents everywhere? My mother graduated from MICA back in about 1943 and we did art classes there as kids for years and years. There are so many great places around downtown--even just for visiting if not shooting. Walters Art Gallery--my mom was a docent there for many years--has an amazing collection dominated by one man's vision. The old Mount Royal Station--Baltimore used to be big enough for 2 stops on the way up the northeast corridor. All the images make me wish I had been along. Hope to do it soon.
Eva, That gritty second photo really brings home the streets (and alleys) of Baltimore. And those train tracks reminded me of what a crazy collection of people we encountered! Far, far away from the Inner Harbor. See you Tuesday.
ReplyDeleteEva, I especially like your first photo because of the perspective, how there are layers of squares producing a checkerboard effect from from to back. The vertical and horizontal patterns work really well to bring interest into the photo and the green, gray and blue colors are very appealing. I also like your head-on of the stone church. The dark cloud and the traffic light pole add symmetry. I feel as if these kind of photos are difficult to take because theres so much to choose from in the area and you really have to work on the question of what to put in and leave out ,and decide what is even possible within the boundaries. At first things might seem to be an unwanted distraction ,but sometimes you can work with it to your advantage as you've done.-Kate
ReplyDeleteI like the clarity and graphic of the light rail image. I'm really glad you included both of the gothic churches, so different within that realm of style, one made of more enduring material using strongly unitary color, the other so unusually green and emphatically colored, albeit crumbling.
ReplyDeleteI received an invitation from Diane Borgatti, Parish Coordinator of the Presbyterian brownstone about:
Art Under The Spire
Have you ever been moved by the sight of our church spire rising into the heavens? Perhaps you have tried to capture this Gothic-style masterpiece in film or clay or paint. If you possess art of any medium relating to the church, please consider displaying it in our juried mixed media show in Reid Chapel September 5 through October 3, 2014.
If selected, your work will be included with drawings from MICA and Baltimore School for the Arts students who came last year for drawing assignments. The Art Under the Spire committee is pleased to present this show as a collaborative effort with the community, as well. Spread the word! If there are persons in your acquaintance with art or photos pertaining to our church architecture, invite then to contact the church office by August 10, 2014 at
information@firstfranklin.org
You could also contact Diane if you would like to photograph the church interior - 410-728-5545.
ReplyDeleteI was having trouble with comments, had to keep redoing, forgot to say that I marveled at the brownstone but couldn't figure out how to shoot it. Your version is in keeping with the soaring effect it has and with the theme of the show - it rises to the heavens (in church parlance there is but one heaven I think.)
DeleteI agree that the church is just about perfect--the sense of place in the city, with the traffic iights, the bike signs and yet the essence of what I might call a chapel of the old school. Very nicely done. I also like the first one--everyone got great shots of that spot and all different. I also really like the under the freeway shot. I see that or something like it from the train all the time and have always wanted to shoot there--so someone will have to tell me how to get there! I like the sense of a lost place but also enjoy the little shots of color in the background.
ReplyDeleteBaltimore is such a unique spot. Having grown up there, I do take a fair amount of it for granted. To go back as an adult is really interesting. Did you hear the Balmoran accents everywhere? My mother graduated from MICA back in about 1943 and we did art classes there as kids for years and years. There are so many great places around downtown--even just for visiting if not shooting. Walters Art Gallery--my mom was a docent there for many years--has an amazing collection dominated by one man's vision. The old Mount Royal Station--Baltimore used to be big enough for 2 stops on the way up the northeast corridor. All the images make me wish I had been along. Hope to do it soon.