Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Websites, ETC.: Photoshelter, liveBooks, SmugMug + Squarespace


Thanks for sharing today.

PhotoShelter and liveBooks offer 2-week free trials. They share many of the same features, but PhotoShelter had implemented some of them ahead of liveBooks, and is geared specifically for photographers. Livebooks is aimed at photographers, designers, etc.

As I said, I think PS adds good value through training (good photography material) and support for the website and beyond.

I learned today that if I refer you to Photoshelter, we’ll each receive a discount. If you think PhotoShelter is of interest, let me know and I will email you an invitation to take advantage of it. I have referred people to PS in the past but I have not used the refer-a-friend program before. Chuck Cecil is a former student who uses. PhotoShelter.

In addition to SmugMug, Squarespace is another option folks seem happy with (including Jeffrey Becton – See comment to Jane).

Check prices, storage, templates, features, customization options, and consider whether there are different platforms to choose from to optimize for phones and pads.

Galleries and Alternate Spaces


If you wish to create and present a body of work, you may want to explore alternative spaces such as libraries, gyms, coffee shops, restaurants, furniture stores, etc. Look for a place with good wall space that feels it could be a good fit for you and your work. Maybe if you think about where you already go, options to explore will come to mind.

But you may want to create that body of work first.

Non-profit Hillyer Art Space near the Phillips and Cosmos Club has a call for work, deadline Sept. 28

Layer Masks in Photoshop CS 5 and related material





Using Layer Masks for Image Editing in Adobe Photoshop CS5: Learn by Video not free but the best price I could find. See the video and decide if this would be worthwhile for you. Tim Grey is very good.

I will have a handout for you, Dan. 

I've been interrupted by power outages and need to stop for tonight. I will be out of town tomorrow. 

Can you add resources you think someone would find helpful or inspiring? Any photographers, 
books or exhibitions to recommend? Suggest a shoot, if you would like company. Shoot. Shoot flat images, urban, go in search of what's out there.

Next time - take a step in the direction of the momentum you're trying to maintain. (one of the website templates is called momentum - you website-interested folks might discover it as you explore.) Show images, report on progress. Show us your style. I'll check back here...






No comments:

Post a Comment