Saturday, July 26, 2014

Baltimore - Luck of the Draw

Could it be? The weather gods, or at least Weather Underground, seem to be smiling on our next outing. Tuesday's forecast (as of Saturday morning) calls for light clouds, then clearing, with a high of 80, winds light and variable - just about as good as we could hope in late July, no?

This week, (8/29), as long as the forecast doesn't head too far south, we'll head to Baltimore for an intermodal adventure.



We can take the Penn Line Marc train from DC's Union Station (map - see Marc ticket counter and gates on Street Level) to B-more's Penn Station ($7 one way).



Hmmn, maybe you all could wear wear black, white or grey, with a touch of red perhaps

 I suggest the 9:30 (414) if that suits everyone - it's one hour to Penn Station - please take a look at the schedule and let us know the earliest time you are available, keeping in mind whether you want to be part of morning commute.


We can use free Charm City Circulators with service every 15 minutes, and with a $3.50 all day pass we can take light rail, metro, and buses. Please print copies of relevant schedules, including Charm City Circulators, indicating stops that interest you. The purple line is Penn Station / Federal Hill.

Please explore Baltimore links to orient yourself. Using links in this post (and, optionally, other resources) I'd like for each of you to generate an idea or two about a specific site or area you would like to visit, or an idea, theme or concept you would like to shoot. John, this should be right up your alley, yes? Please post to the blog. We don't need a detailed itinerary, but do need a few ideas.

Think about what you will carry - you may need to lighten your load to keep it reasonably comfortable. Please include a gear list in your post with time preference,  shooting ideas and other comments / questions.

Another alternative, perhaps better for weekends, is to drive to Glen Burnie Cromwell Lightrail Station, where there are over 700 free parking spots (but I don't know what time the lots fills on weekdays). The north / south Cromwell Lightrail route could be a good one to hop on and off. (I realize that I was confusing this with New Carrollton - I met Cromwell Station - basically a driving not Metro option.)

Baltimore's giant festival Artscape was last weekend (I found this post in drafts and am updating it now. I thought I had already posted it!)  If you decide to go next year, you might want to check out the Cromwell option.



I hope John, Eva and others can visit Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens (remember, especially if you like early golden light, gates open ahead of official 7 opening, they were already open at 6:30 on Tuesday) You can use the park website for driving directions. Use the blog or email to suggest a visit.



1 comment:

  1. Haven't been there, but the hipster/old Balmer neighborhood of Hampden looks like fun. A few stops north of Penn Station on the light rail (Woodberry stop). That stop also serves Druid Hill Park and the zoo. And they have ice cream. I think the Mt. Vernon neighborhood, near the Walters on the Circulator bus, has grand old architecture. I've spent too much time in the Inner Harbor, maybe Fell's Point if you want harbor views? But I'll be fine pretty much anywhere people have left their mark.

    ReplyDelete